Saturday 26 April 2014

Use Your Waiver Wire Constantly

If you've played in fantasy leagues for any length of time, I'm again stating the obvious. But to reinforce my point, here's a stat that one of my leaguemates in an Experts League pointed out:

Top three teams (1 - 3): 182 combined transactions, average 60 transactions per team
Remaining teams (4 - 12): 142 combined transactions, average 18 transactions per team

I finished in fourth place in this league with 17 total transactions, so perhaps I would have improved my standing if I had used the waiver wire more often. But in the keeper league that I won, I credit using the waiver wire as one of my keys to success.

The team that wins isn't necessarily the one that uses the waiver wire the most often. But there is something to be said about regular waiver-wire users being more involved in their league. These are the owners that are continuously attempting to improve their teams.

I've believed for years that waiver-wire transactions are much more beneficial for your team than trades. Using the waiver wire means that you have complete control over adds and drops, whereas it takes two to make a fantasy trade happen (not to mention that the other owner is often trying to gain the upper hand.) Your waiver wire can help you exploit matchups, maximize games played, and ride hot streaks.

Here is a list of players that I added from the waiver wire in my fantasy leagues this season, placed into several categories:

No respect for future Hall of Famers?
Jarome Iginla
Daniel Alfredsson (in a deep league)
Teemu Selanne (fading)

The significantly effective adds
James Wisniewski
David Perron
Jaden Schwartz

Backups who became starters this season
Steve Mason
Eddie Lack
Frederik Andersen

The trendy adds
Gustav Nyqvist
Tomas Hertl
Evgeny Kuznetsov

The surprisingly effective adds (due to scoring system)
Jason Demers
Tommy Wingels
Olli Maatta

Found on the waiver wire in more than one league
Mike Cammalleri
Kevin Bieksa
Torey Krug

Use your waiver wire constantly to get the most out of your fantasy team!

No comments:

Post a Comment